20 Enjoyable Things You Can Do Alone
"Sometimes you need to be alone. Not to be lonely, but to enjoy your free time being yourself."
Time with friends and family is always good for you. But sometimes it's nice to spend some quality time with yourself. Many of us tend to think that we have to do everything with someone else. That is so not true. Time alone can be very good for you.
Doing things by yourself gives you more freedom. You are totally in charge of what you want to do. When you want to do it and when you want to leave. No reason to sit around and be bored.
1. Take in a movie that you have been wanting to see. No need to discuss with friends what you should see. It's totally in your control.
2. Enjoy a concert. Many places, especially in the summer, have free concerts in the park. Or purchase a ticket to one of your favorites. You don't need someone with you to enjoy the music.
3. Enjoy some people-watching time. Sit at a sidewalk cafe and enjoy a cup of coffee. Sit on a park bench and feed the ducks.
4. Dine at one of your favorite restaurants. And don't forget to splurge on your favorite dessert.
5. Check out a podcast that interests you. Learn something new.
6. Grab a camera or use your phone and take some random photos. Maybe take pictures throughout your day. Photograph your whole day from morning coffee and the sunrise to the end of the day sundown. Sort of a day in the life of...
7. Do some of those things you have always wanted to do. Is there a store that you have always wanted to check out? Maybe a restaurant you keep thinking you want to try. Or perhaps it's more exciting, like a trip to an amusement park and a ride on a roller coaster. What about a weekend road trip? There are probably more than a few things that interest you that your friends are not interested in. No reason not to go off and do those things by yourself.
8. Unplug all your devices and relax. No texting, no Facebook or Twitter, just quiet relaxation.
9. Do something you enjoyed when you were young. Go to the park, swing on the swings, go to the beach, and build sandcastles. Enjoy your favorite ice cream treat. Why not enjoy some of your favorite childhood cartoons?
10. Indulge in some self-care—a nice soothing soak in the tub, a manicure, or a pedicure. Light some candles and put on your favorite music.
11. Binge-watch your favorite television series. Or try a series that is new to you. The options out there are endless.
12. Read that book that has been sitting on your nightstand for weeks. You could also make a list of books you want to read in the future.
13. Try a new recipe. Bake some cookies or make a cake.
14. Get in the car and drive. Turn up the radio, roll down the windows, hit the gas, and explore the countryside.
15. Clean house? Not really a fun thing, but it could be a very productive use of your time. Of course, when you finish the cleaning, you will need a reward—a glass of wine or a delicious dessert. Or both!
Make a list of things you want to do the next time you need some alone time. You might find yourself wanting some alone time regularly.
"Sometimes you need to take a break from everyone and spend time alone to experience, appreciate, and love yourself." —Robert Tew